[R] Question about ggplot2 and stat_smooth

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 3 19:24:51 CEST 2011

  I'm interested in creating a graphic -like- this:

c <- ggplot(mtcars, aes(qsec, wt))
c + geom_point() + stat_smooth(fill="blue", colour="darkblue", size=2,
alpha = 0.2)

but I need to show 2 sets of bands (with different shading) using 5%,
25%, 75%, 95% limits that I specify and where the heavy blue line is the
median. I don't understand how to do this with ggplot2. What I am doing
currently is to generate 'boxplots' (with 5%, 25%, 75%, 95% limits) at
6-hourly time steps (so I have a series of boxplots, which you can see
by clicking on a map point:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/mmefs/index_test.php?Lat=38.2&Lon=-80.1&Zoom=5&Refresh=0&RFCOverlay=0&Model=NAEFS).
Some who use our graphics would like to see something more like the
ggplot2 with stat_smooth graphic.

Help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Tom