[R] Poor performance of "Optim"

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sun Oct 2 11:07:09 CEST 2011

Ben Bolker sent me a private email rightfully correcting me that was
factually wrong when I wrote that ML /is/ a numerical method (I had written
sloppily and under time pressure). He is of course right to point out that
not all maximum likelihood estimators require numerical methods to solve.
Further, only numerical optimization will show the behavior discussed in
this post for the given reasons. (I hope this post isn't yet another blooper
of mine at 5 a.m. in the morning).

Best,
Daniel