[R] Poor performance of "Optim"

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Oct 1 12:49:34 CEST 2011

       Have you considered the "optimx" package?  I haven't tried it,
but it was produced by a team of leading researchers in nonlinear
optimization, including those who wrote most of "optim"
(http://user2010.org/tutorials/Nash.html) years ago.

       There is a team actively working on this.  If you could provide
specific examples where Gauss and Matlab outperformed the alternatives
you've tried in R, especially if Gauss and Matlab outperformed optimx, I
believe they would be interested.

       As previously noted, nonlinear optimization is a difficult
problem.  An overview of alternatives available in R, including optim
and optimx, is available with the CRAN Task View on optimization
(http://cran.fhcrc.org/web/views/Optimization.html).

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

--