[R] Objects disappearing in my R work space

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 01:06:18 CET 2011

One thing is to define "missing" a little better.  For example, as
mentioned previously, are you returning the values from a function
call?  If you, print out an indication that they exist at that point.
If there is further processing happening, put some checks as to their
existance as the code continues.  Can you localize where this is
happening?  If they are "disappearing", then there is something you
are doing in your code to most likely make it happen.  Until there is
something that people can reproduce, there are all types of theories
we can expound on.

If I was looking at the code, I could probably put checks in at
various points to see in what section these things disappeared.  Do
you have some 'try' functions around parts of the code that might not
be reporting some error conditions?  So probably until you can provide
something that we can at least look at, and exactly how you determined
that something disappeared, there is probably not much more we can do
at this point.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11-11-25 1:03 PM, Michael Clawson wrote:
>>
>> My problem with providing the code, is MCMC is a fairly integrated
>> process,
>> so I dont know how I would pare it down to send...
>> Would it work to send the MCMC code, and the three *.csv files to go along
>> with it?
>
> I don't understand.  If you can't make your code simple enough to post, how
> do you think we can possibly imagine what you're doing?
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM, David
>> Winsemius<dwinsemius at comcast.net>wrote:
>>

>>> On Nov 25, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Michael Clawson wrote:
>>>
>>>  Uwe,

>>> It would probably be better to adopt the terminology that the things you
>>> are calling "windows" are "sessions".

>>> The most common cause of that behavior is failing to assign the output of
>>> a function to a name. There is an object named ".Last.value" that hosld
>>> the
>>> results of the last returned object even it it doesn't have another name.
>>>
>>> lapply(1:10,  I)
>>> test<- .Last.value
>>> test