[R] Objects disappearing in my R work space

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 18:54:11 CET 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Michael Clawson wrote:

> Uwe,
>
> by window I mean instances, by runs I mean, runs the my Markov-Chain
> Monte
> Carlo simulator

It would probably be better to adopt the terminology that the things
you are calling "windows" are "sessions".

> I open two instances of R, run a million cycle chain in each
> instance, and
> when they finish, neither window has the object I defined to store
> the runs.
>
> I tested this morning and when I open two R windows and run a 5k cycle
> chain in each instance, neither window has the object I defined to
> store
> the runs.
>
> This does not happen when I only have one instance of R open

The most common cause of that behavior is failing to assign the output
of a function to a name. There is an object named ".Last.value" that
hosld the results of the last returned object even it it doesn't have
another name.

lapply(1:10,  I)
test <- .Last.value
test
[[1]]
[1] 1

[[2]]
[1] 2
snipped rest of output

But as Uwe said ... without the code, ... and your OS (to answer the
question about memory)  .... and your sessionInfo() to make sure that
this is not a GUI-related issue ... we cannot say very much.

> 2011/11/25 Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>
>

>> On 25.11.2011 05:12, Aldo wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a maximum memory allocation for all R windows open?
>>> because it is
>>> like 1-3 million runs
>>>

>> ????
>> So you mean you open a million windows at the same time? In that
>> case we
>> really need your definition of "window".
>>

>> .... so... it may be reaching some sort of memory limit
>>>

>> I do not know if any OS / window manager has the capability to open
>> that
>> many numbers of windows. But as I said, we need some difintions and
>> examples.
>>
>> Uwe Ligges
>>
>> --

David Winsemius, MD