[R] understanding all.equal() output: "Mean relative difference"

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Thu Nov 24 16:32:05 CET 2011

The help page says that large differences are returned as relative difference. A look at the code shows that all.equal.numeric, the version used for a numeric first argument, uses the 'target', that is, the first parametter, as the scaling factor. Thus

c(1,4) has a difference of 3, scaled by 1, giving 3
c(2,4) has a difference of 2, scaled by 2, giving 1

... and so on.

The other potentially useful part of the help page is the bit right at the beginning than says
"Don't use 'all.equal' directly in 'if'
expressions-either use 'isTRUE(all.equal(....))' or 'identical' if
appropriate."

which usually avoids the need to parse the result at all.