[R] Data Frame Search Slow

TimothyDalbey tmdalbey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:45:10 CET 2011

Update from email outside of this thread:

Justin Haynes writes:

> matrices will help, but two quick solutions:
>
> if you are looking for single items to go in the some_value space, use ==
> instead of %in% and you'll notice speedups.  The second more involved
> option is to take a look at the package data.table.
>
> it provides a wrapper for data.frame that has some impressive
> optimizations as well as allowing for SQL like indexing and syntax.
>

> hope that helps!

Justin, thanks.  Here's the before and after clock:

Before:

user  system elapsed
  0.976   0.164   2.607

After:

user  system elapsed
  0.624   0.156   1.810

You are correct.  I still need to get that elapsed down even more.
Data.table sounds like a good option.  I'll look into it more.  Thank you.