[R] Scatter plot - using colour to group points?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:32:06 CET 2011

I think the easiest way to do this is to set up a color vector with
ifelse and hand that off to the plot command: something like

col = ifelse(TEMP3[,"SITE"] == "BG1", "blue", "green") # Syntax is
ifelse(TEST, OUT_IF_TRUE, OUT_IF_FALSE)

For more complicated schemes, a set of nested ifelse()'s can get you
what you need. There are some other tricks with factors as well, but
they require a little more advanced use of R. Just for the record,
they'd look something like this:

X = letters[c(1,2,3,3,1,2,1,3,3,1,2,2,1)]

colX = c("red","green","blue")[as.factor(X)]

Hope this helps,
Michael