[R] Comments disappearing from local functions (R 2.14.0)

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Mon Nov 21 09:46:21 CET 2011

On 21/11/11 20:52, p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz wrote:
> I've installed R-2.14.0 from source on CentOS and on Kubuntu and in
> both cases, I see something I've never seen before.  Comments in
> locally written functions disappear.  I put comments there for a
> purpose and I'd like to keep them.  I can still use older versions of
> R without that happening.  Nothing I noticed in the NEWS file seems to
> indicate a change that could be related to that phenomenon.
>
> (Using ESS, it's more complicated but I figure if I get it working from
> the terminal the rest will work.)
>
> Since nobody else has reported such a problem, it might be something
> in my local settings that's behind what I'm seeing but I can't guess
> where I should look.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

It *doesn't* happen to me.  Ergo it would appear to be peculiar
to your particular set-up.

What does options()$keep.source say?  (Mine says "TRUE".)

          cheers,

             Rolf

P. S.:

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31)
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)

locale:
  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
  [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
  [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] misc_0.0-15