[R] R v2.13.2 - Cannot find Rcmd on path?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 23:20:43 CET 2011

On 11-11-13 1:15 PM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> I remember I was torn into pieces a few months back when I made a
> wishlist here that R adds its bin path to PATH on Windows during
> installation. People had tons of reasons of objection. Although I do
> not use these batchfiles (usually I do not actually use Windows), I
> see there is a motivation behind them: there needs to be an easy way
> for Windows users to use R in command line (e.g. R CMD build...). You
> may argue that it is easy to understand PATH and modify it manually,
> and I will say nothing but "thank" Windows again. Sorry this seems to
> be off-topic.

I don't remember any rending and tearing, but I do remember objections
to modifying the path during installation.  I wouldn't want to write
code to do that, because it's hard:

- Most people don't want to put R first, because it may hide something
important.

- Putting it last won't work if an earlier version is already there.

So you need to examine the path and correct it, an automatic change is
unlikely to be successful.

But if you want to write code to do that, just go ahead and do it.  Put
it in a package, even.

Duncan Murdoch