[R] Generating the Ctrl-M character

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 06:39:18 CET 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:55 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> Wow, Deadpan David.
>
> How about using the escape sequence "\r"?

So shoot me. It wasn't documented in a manner that I recognized in the
places I looked.

?character
?Syntax
?Constants

And I did look at ?Quotes where "\r" is listed but did not know that
it was == cntrl-M (if in fact it is.) I assumed (probably incorrectly)
that ""\r" was cntrl-R. There was proabably a time in the past when I
could have told you a lot of the decimal and maybe even hexadecimal

> Keep in mind that Ctrl-M is used as the end-of-line character on
> some operating systems, so accomplishing this may not be portable,
> and you didn't specify your operating system. On the three main
> platforms (*nix, Windows/DOS, and Mac), "\r" should work, but "\n"
> may get munged.

What? I very much doubt that any of those systems will not handle "\n"
as expected. "\r" on the other hand I'm not so sure of.

--
David.