[R] match first consecutive list of capitalized words in string

Peter Alspach Peter.Alspach at plantandfood.co.nz
Thu Nov 10 03:24:46 CET 2011

Tena koe Jonas

Something like the following may help, although you should probably read the help on regexpr regarding locales.

Names <- c("filia Maria", "vidua Joh Dirck Kleve (oo 02.02.1732)", "Bernardus Engelb Franciscus Linde j.u.Doktor referendarius sereniss Judex et gograven Rheinensis")
Names1 <- sub('^[0-9a-z]* ', '', Names)
Names1
ttReg <- regexpr(' [^A-Z]', Names1)
ifelse (ttReg>0, substring(Names1, 1, regexpr(' [^A-Z]', Names1)-1), Names1)

Incidentally, it is not good practice to call your objects 'names' since that is a function in R.

HTH ....

Peter Alspach