[R] Problem working with dates

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:02:15 CET 2011

I think you are making the transform much more complicated than it needs to be:

Suppose you have a data frame with a bunch of things that look like
dates but are really factors:

Then the following transform should work from factor to Date:

df <- as.Date(as.character(df), format = "%Y/%m/%d")

and to address the mistyped element:

df[df == "11/2321931"] <- "11/23/1931"

You should probably do this before the conversion to date type. If you
want to do it in a look up-ish sort of way, this is probably better:

within(Demo, DOB[Subject == 108945] <- "11/23/1931")

Michael