[R] linear against nonlinear alternatives - quantile regression

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Nov 6 15:22:14 CET 2011

Roger,

It's nice to see a reply from the leader in quantile regression.  I wonder
if I might ask a somewhat unrelated question.  A few recent papers have
developed ways to force quantile regression curves not to cross.  Do you
have plans to implement this capability in quantreg?

Thanks very much for developing such a fantastic package.
Frank

Roger Koenker-3 wrote:

> Roger Koenker
> rkoenker@
>

> On Nov 5, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Julia Lira wrote:
>

>> Dear David,
>>
>> Indeed rq() accepts a vector fo tau. I used the example given by
>> Frank to run
>>
>> fitspl4 <- summary(rq(b1 ~ rcs(x,4), tau=c(a1,a2,a3,a4)))
>>
>> and it works.
>>
>> I even can use anova() to test equality of slopes jointly across
>> quantiles. however, it would be interesting to test among different
>> specifications, e.g. rcs(x,4) against rcs(x,3). but it does not work.
>
> Probably because the models aren't nested...
>>
>> Thanks for all suggestions!
>>
>> Julia
>>
>>> From: dwinsemius@
>>> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 13:42:34 -0400
>>> To: f.harrell@
>>> CC: r-help@
>>> Subject: Re: [R] linear against nonlinear alternatives - quantile
>>> regression
>>>
>>> I suppose this constitutes thread drift, but your simple example,
>>> Frank, made wonder if Rq() accepts a vector argument for tau. I
>>> seem to remember that Koencker's rq() does.. Normally I would
>>> consult the help page, but the power is still out here in Central
>>> Connecticut and I am corresponding with a less capable device. I am
>>> guessing that if Rq() does accept such a vector that the form of
>>> the nonlinearity would be imposed at all levels of tau.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David

-----
Frank Harrell