[R] set seed for random draws

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Sat Nov 5 10:00:47 CET 2011

I'm suspecting this is confusion about
default behavior.

R automatically updates the random seed
when random numbers are generated (or
other random operations are performed).

The original poster may have experienced
systems where it is up to the user to
change the seed.

I'd suggest two rules of thumb when coming
up against something in R that you aren't
sure about:

1. If it is a mundane task, R probably
takes care of it.

2. Experiment to see what happens.

Of course you could read documentation, but
no one does that.