[R] Value of 'pi'

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue May 31 17:03:31 CEST 2011

and proof of irrationality is not hard (Wikipedia has several),
although certainly nontrivial. Proof that it's transcendental is,
requiring e.g. abstract algebra (Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem).

Cheers,
Bert

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Ravi Varadhan <rvaradhan at jhmi.edu> wrote:
> `pi' is more than irrational - it is transcendental, which mean it cannot be the zero of a polynomial with integer coefficient.  All transcendentals are irrationals, but not vice-versa.
>
> I have also heard (courtesy: John Nash) that `pi' is the ratio of actual time it takes to complete your thesis to the anticipated time.
>
> I have also heard that March 14 is the official `pi' day in the US (probably not in Indiana!).
>
> Ravi.

> Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor,
> Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns Hopkins University
>
> Ph. (410) 502-2619

"Men by nature long to get on to the ultimate truths, and will often
be impatient with elementary studies or fight shy of them. If it were
possible to reach the ultimate truths without the elementary studies
usually prefixed to them, these would not be preparatory studies but
superfluous diversions."

-- Maimonides (1135-1204)

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics