[R] Why do not prevent users from creating a local copy of c() ?

Marco Barbàra jabbba at gmail.com
Sun May 29 21:20:39 CEST 2011

Hi all,

sometime in the past I accidentaly created a copy of the c()
primitive function inside my ``laboratory'' workspace, which I
normally use to experiment and learn. As a consequence, c() stopped to
work correctly and started to return lists of symbols instead of
vectors, and today I had to spend much time to seek out that the problem
was in that specific workspace (if only I had known in advance ... ).

The weird thing is that if I now recreate a local copy of c(), the
function does continue to work correctly.

Anyway, my question is: could be possible to prevent users from doing
such dangerous things?

Thanks, Marco.