[R] FW: FW: Unable to Plot using headers (converting to Numeric)

Struckmeier, Nathanael NStruckmeier at HarryandDavid.com
Fri May 27 23:22:39 CEST 2011

I'll take your advise and go through the intro. Thanks

Thank You
Nathan Struckmeier
Supply Chain Planning
Office 541-864-5029
NStruckmeier at HarryandDavid.com
2500 S. Pacific Hwy, Medford OR, 97501
Daily Humor:  Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door....

-----Original Message-----
From: David Winsemius [mailto:dwinsemius at comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 2:14 PM
To: Struckmeier, Nathanael
Cc: R-help at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] FW: FW: Unable to Plot using headers (converting to
Numeric)

On May 27, 2011, at 5:06 PM, Struckmeier, Nathanael wrote:

> I tried command
> as.numeric(Qty)    #converting column"Qty" in object "demand" to
> numeric. However it remains a non-numeric value.

Right. You didn't assign it to anything. AND since you are apparently
following the IMO misguided advice to use these as attach()-ed
variables, even if you did make a change ,,,, it would be lost as soon
as you detached it. You really do need to read the "Introduction to R"
and work through the examples. Asking question like this on r-help is
slowing your progress.

> What is the best way to convert a column of data to a numeric value in
> R?

It depends on what it might be. Pay attention to the use of str() as
you do your reading and "homework".

> What is the best way to convert dates into a numeric format (or some
> format able to be used in an x,y scatter) while still maintaining its
> inherent "date" property?

It depends on what they really are. Are they just characters or are
they one of hte several DateTime classes? Again... back to the books.

> StatBat2

>>> if(x) stop("STOP")
>>> print(a)
>>> print(b)