[R] R-2.10.1 to R-2.13.0

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:13:36 CEST 2011

On 26/05/2011 10:05 AM, ogbos okike wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
> Thanks for your time.
> Using ./configure as specified in the installation manual, I attempted to
> install R-2.13.0 but it reported an error message:
>
> checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
> checking X11/Intrinsic.h usability... no
> checking X11/Intrinsic.h presence... no
> checking for X11/Intrinsic.h... no
> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not
> available
>
> Could you please advise further. I am attempting this for the first time on
> my laptop (ubuntu os).

I don't use Ubuntu, but that looks as though you don't have the
development headers for X11 available.

The usual advice I've seen on this is to install an Ubuntu binary rather
than building yourself, but I don't remember the details of where to get
it (and I don't remember how to get the X11 headers you need).

Duncan Murdoch