[R] Apply or Tapply to Build Set of Tables

Sparks, John James jspark4 at uic.edu
Tue May 24 02:31:24 CEST 2011

Dear R Helpers,

First, I apologize for asking for help on the first of my topics.  I have
been looking at the posts and pages for apply, tapply etc, and I know that
the solution to this must be ridiculously easy, but I just can't seem to
get my brain around it.  If I want to produce a set of tables for all the
variables in my data, how can I do that without having to type them into
the table command one by one.  So, I would like to use (t? s? r?)apply to
use one command instead of the following set of table commands:

data(infert, package = "datasets")
attach(infert)

table.education<-table(education)
table.age<-table(age)
table.parity<-table(parity)
etc.

To make matters worse, what I subsequently need is the chi-square for each
and all of the pairs of variables.  Such as:

chi.education.age<-chisq.test(table(education,age))
chi.education.parity<-chisq.test(table(education,parity))
chi.age.parity<-chisq.test(table(age,parity))
etc.

Your guidance would be much appreciated.

--John J. Sparks, Ph.D.