[R] Contrasts in Penalized Package

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sat May 21 04:09:48 CEST 2011

The key line is

    prep <- .checkinput(match.call(), parent.frame())

Among other things the model matrix is built in .checkinput( ) which is not exported from the package namespace.  So you have to get rough with it and use

penalized:::.checkinput

and then you see these line of code

        options(contrasts = c(unordered = "contr.none", ordered = "contr.diff"))

and the scene is set.  The selection of contrasts is hardwired and to get around it you would need to hack the package, not a great idea.
The namespace will get you if you try to mask contr.none with a function of your own, for example.

Bill Venables.