[R] Building Custom GUIs for R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri May 20 15:17:57 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM, vioravis <vioravis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any tools currently available that enable us build GUIs??? (MATLAB
> has a GUI builder that enables the users build custom GUIs).

 Another option nobody has mentioned yet is to make it a web-based
system, and generate your dialogs using HTML FORM elements. R comes
with a basic web server engine now so it might be possible to make it
all self-contained.

> Can we make a exe of such GUI (with the R code) and let people use it
> without having to install R???

 That's another FFAQ to which the answer is usually 'no', although you
can of course distribute R alongside your application (by closely
following the terms of the R license agreement) and say in your
install notes "first install R by running setupR.exe" or whatever.

Barry