[R] within()

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 19 17:21:08 CEST 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Timothy Bates wrote:

> Likewise it would help reduce confusion when
> plot(~Source, data=Df) # works
> # but
> boxplot(~Source, data=Df)
> # Error in boxplot.formula(~Source, data = Df) :
> #  'formula' missing or incorrect
>
> The formula isn’t missing or illformed, it’s that boxplot requires
> formulae to have something on the left hand side.

It may not be "illformed" but the error message says instead that it
is "incorrect". Read the help page for boxplot (which would be the
first thing a right-thinking person would do upon getting such a
message) and it clearly implies that there needs to be a LHS
component. I would rather the R Core spend its time on other areas.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT