[R] Help, please

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 19 16:40:08 CEST 2011

On May 18, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Julio César Flores Castro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using R 2.10.1 and I have a doubt. Do you know how many cases
> can R
> handle?

I was able to handle (meaning do Cox proportional hazards work with
the 'rms' package which adds extra memory overhead with a datadist
object)  a 5.5 million rows by 100 columns dataframe without
difficulty using 24 GB on a Mac (BSD UNIX kernel). I was running into
performance slow downs related to paging out to virtual memory at 150
columns, but after expanding to 32 GB can now handle 5.5 MM records
with 200 columns without paging.

> I want to use the library npmc but if I have more than 4,500 cases I
> get an
> error message. If I use less than 4500 cases I don´t have problems
> with this
> library.
>
> Is there any way to increase the number of cases in order to use this
> library.

64 bit OS, 64 bit R,  and more memory.

--
David Winsemius, MD