[R] Help with 2-D plot of k-mean clustering analysis

Claudia Beleites claudia.beleites at ipht-jena.de
Wed May 18 18:55:39 CEST 2011

Hi Meng,

>   I would like to use R to perform k-means clustering on my data which
> included 33 samples measured with ~1000 variables. I have already used
> kmeans package for this analysis, and showed that there are 4 clusters in my
> data. However, it's really difficult to plot this cluster in 2-D format
> since the "huge" number of variables. One possible way is to project the
> multidimensional space into 2-D platform, but I could not find any good way
> to do that. Any suggestions or comments will be really helpful!
For suggestions it would be extremely helpful to tell us what kind of
variables your 1000 variables are.

Parallel coordinate plots plot values over (many) variables. Whether
this is useful, depends very much on your variables: E.g. I have
spectral channels, they have an intrinsic order and the values have
physically the same meaning (and almost the same range), so the parallel
coordinate plot comes naturally (it produces in fact the spectra).

Claudia

> Thanks,
>
> Meng
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]