[R] Smooth contour of a map

Pierre Bruyer pbruyer at agaetis.fr
Tue May 17 15:35:39 CEST 2011

I work with large datasets (10000 points) so I can't post them , but my function is :

create_map <- function(grd, level ,map_output, format = c("jpeg"), width_map = 150, height_map = 150,...)
{

	##sp <- spline(x = grd[,1], y = grd[,2])

	grd2 <- matrix(grd[,3], nrow = sqrt(length(grd[,3])), ncol = sqrt(length(grd[,3])), byrow = FALSE)

	V2b <- grd2

	##creation of breaks for colors
	i<-1
	paliers <- c(-1.0E300)
	while(i<=length(level[,1]))
	{
		paliers <- c(paliers,level[i,1])
		i <- i+1
	}
	paliers <- c(paliers, 1.0E300)

	##scale color creation
	i <- 1
	colgraph <- c(rgb(255,255,255, maxColorValue = 255))
	while(i<=length(level[,2]))
	{
		colgraph <- c(colgraph, rgb(level[i,2],level[i,3],level[i,4], maxColorValue = 255))
		i <- i +1
	}

	##user can choose the output format (default is jpeg)
	switch(format,
		png = png(map_output, width = width_map, height = height_map) ,
		jpeg = jpeg(map_output, width = width_map, height = height_map, quality = 100),
		bmp = bmp(map_output, width = width_map, height = height_map),
		tiff = tiff(map_output, width = width_map, height = height_map),
		jpeg(map_output, width = width_map, height = height_map))

	## drawing map

	##delete marge
	par(mar=c(0,0,0,0))
	filled.contour(V2b, col = colgraph, levels = paliers, asp = 1, axes = FALSE, ann = FALSE)
	dev.off()

}

where grd is a xyz data frame,
map_output is the path+name of the output image file,
and level is a matrix like this :

level <- matrix(0,10,4)
level[1,1] <- 1.0000E+00
level[2,1] <- 3.0000E+00