[R] Box Plot under GUI (R Commander/RKward)

Vikas Garud information4vikas at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:31:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am a consultant in Quality Management.  I am exploring the use of R
with any GUI - R commander/Rkward for doing analytical work.  Have
installed R, R Commander and Rkward.

I hope to learn by doing various exercises that I use for teaching
analytical techniques to my clients.  I would be posting the data on
this mailing list, and the rkward mailing list wherever I get stuck.

First such technique I am trying to explore is the use of boxplots.
The data is pasted below:
Season	Transporter	Distance	Tonnage	Time
1	1	500	1	17
1	1	500	2	22
1	1	1000	1	23
1	1	1000	2	29
1	1	1500	1	33
1	1	1500	2	38
1	2	500	1	19
1	2	500	2	26
1	2	1000	1	30
1	2	1000	2	35
1	2	1500	1	42
1	2	1500	2	42
2	1	500	1	18
2	1	500	2	24
2	1	1000	1	25
2	1	1000	2	26
2	1	1500	1	35
2	1	1500	2	38
2	2	500	1	21
2	2	500	2	24
2	2	1000	1	28
2	2	1000	2	37
2	2	1500	1	36
2	2	1500	2	44

In this exercise, I am trying to plot box plots of the variable
"Time", the last column and separated by all the other variables-
Season, Transporter, Distance and Tonnage.  I expect the output in
form of multiple box plots, arranged side by side so that I can
compare the time performance for, say, season 1, transporter 2,
Distance 500 and tonnage 2 with, say, season 2, transporter 1,
Distance 500 and tonnage 2.  The box plot command in R Commander
(Grpahs->Boxplot...) has a button called "plot by groups" presumably
to achieve what I am trying to do.  However, on clicking I don't get
any further output.  What am I missing?  (There is nothing equivalent
to this button under Rkward)

I tried to search the mailing list on box plot, but could not find
anything relevant.  I have also searched in manual and seen this type
(or even more complex analysis) being done on terminal.  However, I
need to do it under (any) GUI.  Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Vikas Garud