[R] R Audio Problems when using Vista/Windows 7

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat May 14 21:29:09 CEST 2011

I found this rather old but unanswered message in my archives.

On 10.01.2011 00:07, d10sfan wrote:

> Ive been trying to help someone with using R scripts with audio on Windows
> Vista/7. The problem is that all the packages Ive tried fail to work
> properly when being used on Windows 7.
>
> I couldnt get "audio" to work at all. It kept coming up with the message
> that wmm output could not happen. Worked fine on Windows XP and OS X but not
> 7.
>
> Tried tuneR and the default worked alright but I couldnt get the window to
> embed, as in not appear. I then copied over mplayer and sndrec32 and those
> worked but I got tons of warnings about them returning error codes.

I think there is no audio package available that can play a sound and is
"embedded" for Windows 7. The point is that the "new" wmplayer does not
provide any appropriate command line flags. Audio packjages typically
rely on the fact, that you have an appropriate player available and use
the one that comes with the OS as the (in this case less appropriate)
default.

Hence the recommendation is to install an appropriate player that works
with Windows 7 without warnings and then tell the audio package to use
that one.

In tuneR, see the help pages ?play and ?setWavPlayer for details.

Best,
Uwe Ligges