[R] how to merge within range?

Ian Gow iandgow at gmail.com
Sat May 14 15:16:09 CEST 2011

If I assume that the third column in data.frame.2 is named "val" then in
SQL terms it _seems_ you want

SELECT a.time, b.val FROM data.frame.1 AS a LEFT JOIN data.frame.2 AS b ON
a.time BETWEEN b.start AND b.end;

Not sure how to do that elegantly using R subsetting/merge, but you might
try a package that allows you to use SQL, such as sqldf.