[R] Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 13 02:31:20 CEST 2011

On 12/05/2011 7:44 PM, felipe beckedorff wrote:
> Hello I have downloaded the spp_1.10.tar.gz and  it contains compiled code. I
> installed the Rtools<http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools> and I
> tried to install the package (spp_1.10.tar.gz) but it not worked bellow it
> is the error message.
> Could somebody please help me with this.

It looks as though that package (or something with the same name,
available here:  http://compbio.med.harvard.edu/Supplements/ChIP-seq/)
has not been written in a way that will work on Windows.  So you should
try it on a system that is supported.  Otherwise, you can writing a
configure script that works on Windows the way the the configure script
in it works on Unix, but you'll probably need a lot of work to get it going.

Duncan Murdoch

> Thank you
>
> * installing *source* package 'spp' ...

>     WARNING: this package has a configure script
>           It probably needs manual configuration
>

> ** libs
>
> *** arch - i386
>
> *** arch - x64
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'spp'
> * removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-2.13.0/library/spp'
> Mensagens de aviso perdidas:
> 1: execução do comando 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-213~1.0/bin/x64/R CMD INSTALL -l
> "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.13.0/library"
> "D:/Felipe/doutorado/bioinfo/spp_1.10.tar.gz"' teve status 1
> 2: In install.packages(filename, type = "source", repos = NULL) :
>    installation of package 'D:/Felipe/doutorado/bioinfo/spp_1.10.tar.gz' had
> non-zero exit status

That error basically just says that something failed when trying to
compile the package.  It looks as though it may have worked for the i386
architecture; if 32 bits is enough, then