[R] R won't start keeps crashing

Jonathan Daily biomathjdaily at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:43:10 CEST 2011

I have some suggestions inline below. My biggest suggestion would be
to read the help files that came with R, especially the section
"Invoking R" in "An Introduction to R".

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Bazman76 <h_a_patience at hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3517669/R_crash.jpg
>
> OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when I start
> R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
> result.

This may mean that you answered yes to the exit prompt asking you to
save your workspace, especially if you didn't attempt to save a file
".Rdata"

> The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the GUI.
> When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the whole
> session shuts down.
>
> So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt version.
>

> However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and seems to
> function normally.
>
> Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if they will
> help given that this version is workfing?
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>

>> load("C:/path/to/file")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>  cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No such
> file or directory'

Replace "path/to/file" with the path to your file.

> Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me know what
> you want.
>
> --

Jon Daily
Technician