[R] Line feed for a long character string

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:14:39 CEST 2011

On 11/05/2011 4:46 PM, Lisa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone know how to make a line feed automatically based on the width of
> console window? For example, when you cat() a long character string just
> like this:

You can use the strwrap() function to insert line breaks.  If it's not
under your control, and the function you're using tries to print
something wider than the console, what happens depends on what console
you're using.  The Windows Rgui does what you describe.  Windows Rterm
will send all the characters, and cmd.exe or whatever shell you're using
will probably insert breaks when it hits the end of the line.

Duncan Murdoch