[R] pass character vector in instrument field of get.hist.quote function

MatAra mateoarana at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:44:03 CEST 2011

Hello gentlemen,

This is a great discussion. Thank you all for providing useful answers.
I am also new to R, was working mostly with SAS before, and have a question
regarding passing arguments to R functions that are wrapped in quotes.

Using the previous example:
getSymbols(tickers, from="start", to="end")

Given that "start/end" are quoted, how can I pass a date xx-xx-xxxx to R
when I am invoking a custom function, like:

flex<- (start, end){
getSymbols(tickers, from="start", to="end")
}
flex(xx-xx-xxxx,xx-xx-xxxx)

I have tried different combinations but I haven't been able to pass the
correct date, R simply doesn't capture the value. The same issue was
happening with tickers, although there is a way around the issue, the
original problem remains....passing an argument that's quoted in the
function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!