[R] R CMD check warning

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu May 5 21:20:21 CEST 2011

On 6/05/2011 6:06 a.m., swaraj basu wrote:
> Dear All,
>               I am trying to build a package for a set of functions.  I am
> able to build the package and its working fine. When I check it with
>               R CMD check
>
>               I get a following warning :  no visible global function
> definition for ‘biocLite’
>
>                I have used biocLite to load a user defined library from
> within a function if that library is not pre-installed
>
>               if(is.element(annotpkg, installed.packages()[,1]) == "FALSE"){
>                 source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>                 biocLite(annotpkg)
>                 library(annotpkg,character.only=TRUE)
>               }
>
>              Should I ignore this error or there is a workaround for the
> warning. My package is working fine though still I guess the warning has to
> have significance. Please help in clarifying this
>              warning.

Your source() call generates the function biocLite() in such a way that R CMD check cannot
know, so a workaround is to precede the source() statement with something like:
biocLite <- function(x) 0

[I don't know if there is a 'best' way to do this.]

In general Warnings are just that - they point you to a possible fault, but there is not
enough information for the code to make a final determination.

HTH
Ray Brownrigg