[R] select value from a column depending on a value in another column

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 4 15:00:11 CEST 2011

Try subset().

Andrew

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 02:01:44AM -0700, tornanddesperate wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I couldn't find the solution to what must be quite a simple problem. Maybe
> you can help?
>
>        treatment session period stage wage_accepted market
> 1      1            1         1        1       25                  public
> 2      1            1         1        1       19                  privat
> 3      1            1         1        1       15                  public
> 4      1            1         1        2       32                  public
> 5      1            1         1        2       13                  privat
>
> >From this table, I'd like to choose only those values in the column
> "wage_accepted" that have the value "public" in the column "market". How can
> I do this?
>
> Is there a good general help site for R that would explain basic table
> manipulations such as this?
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>

> --

Andrew Robinson
Program Manager, ACERA
Department of Mathematics and Statistics            Tel: +61-3-8344-6410
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010 Australia               (prefer email)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~andrewpr              Fax: +61-3-8344-4599
http://www.acera.unimelb.edu.au/

Forest Analytics with R (Springer, 2011)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/FAwR/
Introduction to Scientific Programming and Simulation using R (CRC, 2009):
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/