[R] Problems with Rterm 2.13.0 - but not RGui

Stefan McKinnon Høj-Edwards Stefan.Hoj-Edwards at agrsci.dk
Tue May 3 09:12:01 CEST 2011

Yes, the message is pretty clear, but it has nothing to do with running as admin.
I have just tried to start a command line with admin privileges and the error still occurs.
Regarding Rgui, I started it by opening the shortcut.

Now I've tracked down the problem a bit, and the problem appears to be connected to which folder R is called from.
And by sheer luck I've resolved the problem:
In all previous versions of Windows, on the Danish editions, the "C:\Program Files" directory was called "C:\Programmer". This appears to be the case in Windows 7, but "C:\Programmer" is a symbolic link (hard/soft?) to "C:\Program Files". And apparently, I've been calling R from "C:\Programmer" instead of "C:\Program Files" which gave the problem.
When/how/why I changed the PATH variable to the symbolic link is unclear, but a quick check reveals that the problem did not exist in R 2.12.1:
C:\Programmer\R\R-2.12.1\bin\i386\Rterm  # No problem
C:\Programmer\R\R-2.13.0\bin\i386\Rterm  # Problem

I will submit a bug report on this.

Kind regards,
Stefan McKinnon Edwards