[R] UNIX-like "cut" command in R

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:53:58 CEST 2011

The R "cut" command is entirely different from the UNIX "cut" command.
The latter retains selected fields in a line of text.  I can do that kind
of manipulation using sub() or gsub(), but it is tedious.  I assume there
is an R function that will do this, but I don't know its name.  Can you
tell me?

I'm also guessing that there is a web page somewhere that will tell me how
to do a lot of common GNU/UNIX/Linux "text util" commmand-line kinds of
things in R.  By that I mean by using R functions, not by making system
calls.  Does anyone know of such a web page?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Minnesota Center for Twin and Family Research