[R] Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 14:07:01 CEST 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-03-28 6:41 PM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
>> Duncan I have been trying to work out the solution you gave me but I
>> haven't really got to sort it out. I tried first the option with install
>> packages and got this:
>>
>>  > filename <- file.choose()
>>  > filename
>> [1]
>> "C:\\Users\\Hp\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz
>>  > install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL)
>> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
>> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
>> * installing *source* package 'Rsymphony' ...
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rsymphony'
>
> This is the important message.  It says Rsymphony can't be installed on your
> system, because you're missing something it needs.  You might get more
> information if you run this on the command line, but basically you need to
> read the system requirements for the package and follow them. The one I see
> when I look at it on CRAN is:
>
> SYMPHONY for Windows (sources included for other OSes)
>
> If you don't have that, then you won't be able to install this package on
> Windows.

And for 32-bit Windows, no one has succeeded in building SYMPHONY with
the current toolchain.  We did succeed with an earlier toolchain, but
as SYMPHONY is a C++ API, that is incompatible.

It is possible to build Rsymphony on 64-bit Windows, using the binary
build of SYMPHONY at
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/goodies/Win64No_/
(which needed source modifications).