[R] Magic Number Error Message

armstrwa William.Armstrong at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 25 14:42:49 CET 2011

Hi all,

When I attempt to run a script, I keep getting the error message shown
below.  I have seen from searching that the "Use of save versions prior to 2
is deprecated" could be an error resulting from a permissions problem, but I
have been unable to find anything describing the "file has magnic number '#
Coh'".  The file I am attempting to read into the script is a text file that
contains 3 columns of data, if that makes a difference.  Does this seem to
be a permissions problem, as well, or is there something else going wrong?

I'm sorry, but I can't post the script file because the colleague who gave
it to me asked that I not distribute it yet, but it has worked for him, so I
don't think that there is something wrong with the script itself -- it seems
like there is something wrong on my end.

Thank you for your help.

Billy

> load("H:\\Restoration Center\\Climate Change and
> Restoration\\MidAtlFloodRisk\\discharge data\\R files\\ALRT.txt")
Error: bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data
loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file 'ALRT.txt' has magic number '# Coh'
   Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated