[R] applying random functions to multisets

zbynek.janoska@gmail.com zbynek.janoska at centrum.cz
Fri Mar 25 12:58:21 CET 2011

Hi,
I am solving following problem:

Suppose I have some multiset:
> multiset <- c("a","a","c","d","d")
and rules, which operate with it (for simplicity not writen in R functions)
> rule1: "a" -> c("a","b")
> rule2: "a" -> c("a","c")
> rule3: "c" -> c("c","c")
> ruleX: ...

I want to apply rules to multiset in maximaly parallel manner, but randomly
(ie. rule1 and rule2 both work with object "a", but i want them to apply in
non-deterministic way, so every time I run this procedure, I can get
different result)

Basically what I am looking for is some construct, which would enable me to
do this:

while (initial.multiset IS NOT empty){
apply(random rule, if possible)
return(new.multiset)
}

I tried to organize rules into list, but i don't know how to select randomly
function from a list and apply it

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Zbynek