[R] Rapache ( was Developing a web crawler )

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:55:20 CET 2011

> Subject: Re: [R] Rapache ( was Developing a web crawler )
> From: matt at biostatmatt.com
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:51:53 -0500
>
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 08:06 -0500, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> > > Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:04:11 -0600
> > > From: Matt.Shotwell at vanderbilt.edu
> > > To: r-help at r-project.org
> > > Subject: Re: [R] Developing a web crawler / R "webkit" or something similar? [off topic]

> Hi Mike,
>
> If you've built and configured RApache, then the difficult "plowing" is
> over :). RApache operates at the top (HTTP) layer of the OSI stack,
> whereas Rserve works at the lower transport/network layer. Hence, the
> scope of Rserve applications is far more general. Extending Rserve to
> operate at the HTTP layer (via PHP) will mean more work.

I finally got back to this and started from scratch on a clean machine.
It took most of the day, on and off, but downloading and building R, apache,
and rapache was relatively easy and info page worked but I had to go
get Cairo and various packages to get graphic demo pages to work.
I'll probably have to play with it a bit to see if I can use
it for anything useful but getting it to run was not too difficult
( I think before I didn't bother to build Apache from source and the failure mode
wasnt real clear ) .