[R] enable shlib for RPy2- where is source file?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 22 11:27:27 CET 2011

On 22 March 2011 at 02:17, nick at R wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Have installed Ubuntu packages for R by adding:
| deb http:///bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/
| to my /etc/apt/sources.list file and using:
| sudo apt-get update
| sudo apt-get install r-base
|
| I understand that to enable shlib I need to download source files to my home
| directory. When I run
| apt-get source r-base
| I get the message:
| You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
|
| Fair enough! Does anyone out there know how I can do this (what are the
| URI's)? Dont they come with the instalation?
|
| I think then that, once I have the source, I just run:
| apt-get source r-base
| again and then:
| ./configure ./configure --enable-R-shlib
| (I already have X11 installed)
|
| Sound correct?

No -- the Ubuntu version _is_ configured with_ shlib enabled, you do not need
to rebuild at all. (And it has additional packages rpy and rpy2, neither one
would work otherwise.)

If you still want to, building R from source is explained in the R Inst +
Admin manual.  Dealing with source URLs etc is documented in the Debian +
Ubuntu docs.  Also consider the r-sig-debian list for Debian/Ubuntu questions
for R.

Dirk