[R] Generating repeated measures data

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 15:02:50 CET 2011

At 00:37 19/03/2011, John Sorkin wrote:
>How would one generate data to be used in a simulation of a repeated
>measures ANOVA given a known (1) within-person correlation with
>known (2) mean and SD of data obtained at each of three times of observation?

You do not say which distribution you want them to have but for
normal the best choice seems to be to load MASS and use rmvtnorm.

Generating multivariate datasets from distributions
other than the normal
can be more challenging.
In \R contributed packages provide the following among others:
\begin{description}
\item[\pkg{corcount}]
Poisson, negative binomial, zero--inflated versions
\item[\pkg{binarySimCLF}]
Generates binary variables, see \citet{qaqish03}
for details
\item[\pkg{bindat}]
Generates binary by thresholding normal
\item[\pkg{mvtBinaryEP}]
Binary
\item[\pkg{sn}]
Skew normal and skew $t$
\end{description}

Apologies for all the LaTeX but I fear if I try to edit it I will
delete something crucial.