[R] BFGS and Neldear-Mead

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Mar 18 22:57:26 CET 2011

It is important to pay attention to the convergence message. For example, if
the convergence is due to reaching maximum iteration limit (this is often
the case with Nelder-Mead), then you should increase the maxit from 500 to
1500 or something like that.

Users generally have trouble interpreting the convergence messages.  This is
one of the reasons that we have implemented explicit convergence diagnostics
in "optimx" through first- and second-order KKT conditions. So, you might
want to re-run your problem with "optimx" and check the KKT conditions.

If there are multiple optima, you can get different answers from properly
converged iterations.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology School of Medicine Johns
Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu