[R] lmm WITHOUT random factor (lme4)

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 11:21:30 CET 2011

On Mar 18, 2011; 10:55am Thierry Onkelinx wrote:

>> Furthermore, I get an error when doing an anova between a lm() and a
>> lme() model.

Hi Thierry,

You get this error because you have not done the comparison the way I said
you should, by putting the lme$obj model first in the call to anova(). This
ensures that lme's anova method is invoked, rather than lm's anova method.

You really do need to be careful with this...

## From my original posting
>> ## Compare models with and without random effects
>> fm <- lm(Reaction ~ Days, sleepstudy)
>> fm1 <- lme(Reaction ~ Days, random= ~1|Subject, sleepstudy)
>> anova(fm1, fm)                 ## lme-fitted model must come first

Regards, Mark.