[R] fitting gamm with interaction term

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 19:53:25 CET 2011

Is X a numeric variable or a factor? If it's numeric try....

gam.lme<- gamm(Y~ s(z, by=X),  random=list(groups=pdDiag(~1+X))  )

... since otherwise the separate X term is confounded with s(z, by=X).
(gam detects such confounding and copes with it, but gamm can't).

Simon

On 17/03/11 17:47, Irene Mantzouni wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I would like to fit a gamm model of the form:
>

> Y~X+X*f(z)
>
> Where f is the smooth function and
>
> With random effects on X and on the intercept.
>

> So, I try to write it like this:
>

> gam.lme<- gamm(Y~ s(z, by=X) +X,  random=list(groups=pdDiag(~1+X))  )
>

> but I get the error message :
>

> Error in MEestimate(lmeSt, grps) :
>
>    Singularity in backsolve at level 0, block 1
>

> When I simply fit a gam model using the formula above, then it works ok.
>

> Is it possible to fit such a model with gamm?
>

> Thanks a lot!
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283