[R] lmm WITHOUT random factor (lme4)

Baugh alex.baugh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 10:43:09 CET 2011

LMM without Random effect:

I want to run an LMM both with and without the random factor (ID). And then
extract the log-lik values from the two models in order to generate a
p-value.

with random factor as:    lmer(y~x+(1|ID),data)

Question: can I simply substitute a dummy var (e.g. populated by zeros) for
"ID" to run the model without the random factor? when I try this R returns
values that seem reasonable, but I want to be sure this is appropriate.

>From other inquires in the forum it seems that substituting ("ID-1") or some
variant like that, does not work.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Baugh