[R] Does R have a "const object"?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:42:27 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:12 PM,  <luke-tierney at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

>>> That would defeat the purpose.  Unlocking things in base may be useful
>>> for experimenting or debugging but it is not a good idea otherwise.
>>> [? assignInNamespace could be more explicit on htis and will be soon.]
>>> There is a reason we lock bindings in the first place, and that is so
>>> one can assume that these bindings have certain values and certain
>>> properties and one can write reliable programs against these
>>> assumptions.
>>>

>> Its useful for being able to set defaults for arguments that do not
>> have defaults.  That cannot break existing programs.
>
> Until the next program decides do co change those defaults and either
> can't or does and you end up with incompatible assumptions.  It also
> make the code with the added defaults inconsistent with the
> documentation though, which is not a good idea.  It may seem
> convenient but it isn't a good idea in production code that is
> intended to play well with other production code.
>
>> Note that if this feature is implemented in a heavy handed manner it
>> could cause havoc as at least one package that is depended upon by
>> literally dozens of other packages (and possibly hundreds if one takes
>> into account dependencies of dependencies) cannot function.
>
> The reason I sent my initial message is so those who do this sort of
> thing can start thinking about other approaches.  I do not expect to
> need this change for closures any time soon, but will need it for
> constants and primitives.  It may be useful for some closures as well,
> so that change may come farther down the line.

If the core group is willing to fix certain design errors in R that
make this necessary I would not be so concerned but to not address
them and also remove the facility that lets the user implement a
workaround is really intolerable.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.