[R] get information out of table() result

fre fre_stamlid at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:23:29 CET 2011

I have the following problem:

I have some string with numbers like k. I want to have a table like the
function table() gives. However I am not able to call the first row, the 1,
2, 3, 5, 6 or 9. I tried to do that by a data.frame, but that doesn't seem
to work either. The levels keep bothering me.

This is an example of the code:

k<-c(1,1,1,1,1,3,5,6,2,1,3,9,2,3,1,1,1)
> table(k)
1 2 3 5 6 9
9 2 3 1 1 1
> x<-table(k)
>
> dim(x)
[1] 6

> x[4] #But I only want to read the five
5
1

> x<-data.frame(x)
>
> x[4,1] #You are not allowed to use this five for example 3*x[4,1] is
> impossible
[1] 5
Levels: 1 2 3 5 6 9

I hope anyone has an idea of using the table function without this
inconvenience. I thought about writing a counter myself, but that seems
complicated.
Because I have to examine very large examples later on, I don't want to slow
the calculations down if possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Frederique