[R] Request for Help

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:06:21 CET 2011

Dear Caesar,

Welcome to R.  This is a great opportunity for you to start learning R
and practicing writing your own code.  The first thing I would do is
go to:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html    and read the
introduction to R manual.  It has a lot of helpful information about
using R.

You can pull up the help files/documentation on functions (which
include detailed descriptions of the arguments for each function) by
typing at the console ? followed by the varialbe name.  For examle, to
find information on how to use the mean() function:
?mean

Some functions that might be helpful based on your description of your
goals are:

?plot
?mean
?ave
?tapply

You may also want to read through the R posting guide here:
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html  where you will find that
the R help list only accepts certain types of documents, so your
attachment did not come through.

Cheers,

Josh

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Caesar Nkambule <CNkambule at csir.co.za> wrote:
> Good Day
>
> The attached document refers.  I have recently attended an introduction course to R, and now wish to apply the program into my work analysis.
>
> The spreadsheet contains water quality data sampled from different locations within a catchment.
>
> I wish to group the variables per point (Point Name), Year (all samples per year eg 1985 etc) These should be averages of each year. Lastly, I wish to plot graphs of all the chemical variables from 1985-2006 to analyze the trends in the concentration of water in the area.
>
> I would like to request your assistance in developing the required commands.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Warm regards
>

> Caesar Nkambule
> Climate Studies & Modeling
> CSIR Natural Resources & the Environment
> Tel: 012 841 4439
> Fax: 012 841 2597
> Cell: 082921 6559
> Email: cnkambule at csir.co.za
> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles
http://www.joshuawiley.com/